Merry's Smoked Italian Chicken Leg Quarters
Merry Graham adds a delicious Italian touch to these smoked chicken leg quarters.
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time75 minutes
For 5 Persons
- 5 chicken leg quarters, a 4 pound package
- 2 tablespoons Primo Garlic Pepper Rub
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian dried herbs
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or lemon olive oil
- Season leg quarters: In a medium bowl mix dry seasonings. Add chicken leg quarters, cover with lid and toss a few times. The seasoned can be set on a rack and refrigerated overnight or cooked one hour after the seasoning has been applied.
- Prepare the grill: Arrange Primo lump charcoal on the bottom of the firebox. Wedge 1 or 2 Primo Quick Light starter cubes in the charcoal, and light. Wait 10 minutes for the charcoal to build a small bed of embers. Insert the deflector rack and plates. Close the dome, and adjust the top and bottom vents to achieve a steady 275°F heat.
- Invert the Primo Ribs and Chicken Rack and use the bottom side. Arrange the chicken on the rack. Alternative: Chicken quarters can be smoked over indirect heat then transferred to direct heat for crisping.
- Smoke the chicken, on the bottom side of an inverted Primo Rib and Chicken Rack for 50-60 minutes, turning them over after 20 minutes. Smoke the chicken drumsticks until the internal temperature registers 155°F. Remove the partially cooked drumsticks from the grill.
- Crisp the chicken leg quarters: Bring the grill temperature to 400-425°F direct heat. Return the chicken to the grates, and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken leg quarters from the grill once the internal temperature registers 175-189°F.
- Serve the chicken: Plate and garnish Primo's Italian chicken leg quarters with pasta or fresh vegetables and a salad.