Beer Can White Chicken Chili
A creamy blend of white beans, onions, mushrooms, green chiles and pieces of tender smoked chicken.
Cook Time3h 30m
For 12 Persons
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 can beer
- 4 cans great northern beans
- 2 whole white onions (chopped)
- 8 oz white mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.5 tsp cayenne
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz green chiles (diced)
- 2 cups sour cream (optional: 1 extra cup for topping the chili)
- 16 oz heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Set up the grill for indirect cooking and heat to 350°F. Fill the chicken sitter with beer, place chicken on top and place in grill. Cook until the breast is 160°F (estimated cooking time 90 minutes). When done, remove the chicken allow to sit uncovered for 30-45 minutes to cool before shredding the chicken.
- Lower the temperature of the grill to 300-325°F.
- Add the chicken broth, sour cream, cream, onions, mushrooms, garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne and chiles to the Dutch oven and mix thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the beans and add to the Dutch oven along with the shredded chicken. Mix thoroughly.
- Place the Dutch oven in the grill uncovered (still indirect and at 300-325°F). Wait 30 minutes to add smoky flavor to the chili, then cover. Allow to simmer for 90 minutes. Stir occasionally and to ensure that it is simmering. If it is boiling rapidly, reduce heat.
- Serve in a large soup bowl, top with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese, and chopped cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.