Cold Smoked Greens Salad with Creamy Feta Dressing
Fresh crisp greens with grapes and tomatoes that are lightly smoked with a creamy feta dressing. Serve as a side dish or add grilled chicken, steak or shrimp to serve as an entrée.
Prep Time1h 15m
Inactive Prep Time1-4 hours
For 8 Persons
- 1 container mixed greens
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 8 oz feta cheese (chopped)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 whole lemon (juiced)
- 0.5 cup chardonnay wine
- 0.25 tsp ginger
- 0.25 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.25 tsp dried oregano
- 6 fresh basil leaves (finely chopped)
- 6 campari tomatoes (quarter)
- 1 bunch red seedless grapes
- 6 oz sweet & sour red cabbage
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add half a row of sawdust to the smoker tray (Alder used for this recipe) and follow the lighting instructions. Remove any charcoal from the grill and place the tray on top of the charcoal grate. Fully open the draft door and set the top vent to 1/3 open.
- Place the greens and 6-8 romaine spears in a mesh basket and place in the grill. Cold smoke 15 minutes. Place the green in a seal-able plastic bag and refrigerate.
- Place the tomatoes and grapes in a mesh basket and place in the grill. Cold smoke 30 minutes. Place the green in a seal-able plastic bag and refrigerate.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, ginger, paprika and oregano. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the onions, wine and basil to the mixture. Mix thoroughly. Place in a seal-able container and refrigerate.
- Allow the salad ingredients and dressing to be refrigerated 1-4 hours.
- Coarsely chop the romaine lettuce and mix the greens in a large bowl. Add the grapes and tomatoes and toss. Use a fork to sprinkle the top of the greens with the red cabbage. Serve the dressing separately.