Merry's Smoked Butternut Squash Bisque with Poblano Cream
Smoked Butternut Squash Bisque with Poblano Cream is rich, creamy, comforting, and so delicious. Add a swirl of smoky and spicy poblano cream to the soup to kick up the heat and make it oh-so-pretty.
- Wash the outside of the butternut squash and dry. Pierce the squash 10 times with a fork to allow for steam to escape. Place butternut squash in the microwave, and cook on high for 7 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape and discard the seeds and membrane.
- Wash and dry the outside of the poblano pepper. Leave whole. Cut the onion in half lengthwise from stem end to root end. Cut just the tip of the root end off of the head of the garlic. Peel the apple and cut in quarters.
- Place prepared butternut spquash, onions, garlic, apples, and poblano onto a grill pan .Drizzle with cooking oil, and lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Primo to 275°F and stabilize. Set up for indirect cooking.
- Brush the grill grates with cooking oil. Place the butternut squash, cut side up, on grilling surface. Keep the remaining ingredients on the grill pan.
- Smoke apples and garlic for 30 minutes. Smoke the poblano until completely soft, 40-60 minutes depending on size. Smoke the butternut squash for 60 minutes or when pierced with a fork it is tender.
- Remove the skin from the butternut squash, onions, garlic, and poblano pepper, and discard.
- To Make BISQUE: Use a blender or immersion blender to puree the soup. Use a large stock pot or Dutch Oven to heat and finish cooking the bisque.
- Blend butternut squash, onion, 3/4 of the garlic, apple, chicken broth, butter, grated ginger, 1/2 tablespoons apple vinegar, and orange juice to taste
- Bring bisque just below a boil then simmer on low for at least 15 minutes.
- To Make POBLANO CREAM
- Use a mini blender or food processor to blend poblano with seeds (remove seeds for less heat), 1/4 of the smoked garlicd, scallion, cilantro, sour cream, and cream. Process until smooth. If needed, add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice. Salt & Pepper to taste.