Smoky Strawberry Shortcake
Add a little smoke to your shortcake this strawberry season.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbs. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 tbs. unsalted butter (cold, cube)
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 2 pints of strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Remove stems and slice strawberries.
- Add strawberries and sugar to a large container.
- Mix the strawberries and leave for at least an hour
- Preheat grill with Fredstone to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix these thoroughly.
- Add the cold butter and cut it into the dry ingredients until you have pea-sized crumbs throughout.
- Pour half and half into the dough and stir until just combined (it will be a little crumbly).
- Add the dough to a lightly floured surface and pat and roll into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 8 even biscuits.
- Brush tops with half and half before baking.
- Combine heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk by hand or with an electric hand mixer until whipped cream lightly holds its shape.