Spooky Stuffed Peppers
Frighteningly delicious and eerily easy to make for your Halloween festivities. Serves 6.
Prep Time1h 30m
Cook Time50 mins
For 6 Persons
- 6 large bell peppers
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 whole yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 8oz box Zatarain’s Dirty Rice Mix
- 1 10oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2.5 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place 1 tablespoon of butter and the chopped onions in a large skillet on medium heat. Cook until the onions are translucent and set aside. Place 1 tablespoon of butter and the ground beef in the skillet and brown on medium heat. Drain off the fat.
- Add 2 1/2 cups water, Zatarain’s Dirty Rice Mix, onions, garlic and diced tomatoes to the skillet. Follow the dirty rice cooking instructions. Keep the contents covered until needed.
- Cut around the top of each pepper, remove the core and white membranes, then rinse each pepper and pat dry with a paper towel.
- With a paring knife or thin bladed knife, carve a face on each pepper (we searched google images for "pumpkin carving faces" for inspiration).
- With a large spoon, fill each pepper with the dirty rice mixture. Press the mixture down and leave space at the top. Top each pepper with shredded cheese. The stuffed peppers can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated.
- Heat the grill to 350°F with a baking stone on the cooking grates.
- Place each pepper on the baking stone and bake for 45-60 minutes. For easier removal, the peppers can be placed on a cookie sheet or round pie tin, then placed on the baking stone.
- The peppers are done when the skin wrinkles. Serve immediately.