Asian Shredded Lamb Wonton Crisps
These shredded lamb wonton crisps are guaranteed to impress your guests, even if they are not lamb lovers!
For 4 Persons
For Lamb & Crisps
- 2 (4lb) lamb shoulders
- 2 tablespoons canola or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- Cooking oil, for frying
- Microgreens or chopped cucumber
For Asian Rub
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Chinese 5-spice
- 1 tablespoon citric acid
- 1/2 tablespoon ground chipotle chili
For Asian BBQ Sauce
- 3/4 cup Hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon sriracha style hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cornstarch
- Zest from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup chicken broth, if needed to moisten
For Asian Pickled Red Onions
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup red vinegar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 4 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the lamb shoulders: The night before the cook, trim any excess fat from the lamb shoulders. Rub the lamb shoulder with cooking oil.
- Score the lamb: Use a sharp knife to score the lamb on the fat side in a crosshatch pattern.
- Prepare the Rub: Combine all rub ingredients, and rub all sides of the lamb shoulders. Wrap the lamb tightly in the butcher paper or plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator up to overnight. If there are 2-3 tablespoons left, store it for the smoking day.
- Grilling Day: Fill the firebox with Primo Lump Charcoal. Use Quick Lights or Electric Charcoal Started to build a small bed of embers. Close the dome, and fully open the draft door on the bottom. Adjust the top vent as the thermometer begins to reach 250°F. Add 1-2 cherry smoking chunks.
- Read to Smoke: Place the heat deflector rack and plate. Place a sheet of foil on top for the plates. Once the temperature has reached 260°F, close the top and bottom vent to 1/4-inch open. Wait 2 minutes for the temperature to stabilize. Increase or decrease the airflow on the top and bottom vent as needed to retain 250°F or as high as 275°F.
- Remove lamb shoulders from the refrigerator 60 minutes before cooking.
- Arrange the Primo Grill rotisserie frame onto the Primo ceramic grill. Attach motor onto frame.
- Place the Primo diffuser racks and plates into the grill. Cover the plates with a sheet of foil.
- Smoke the lamb directly on the grill grates for 5-6 hours, rotating the lamb every hour. Spray with a solution of half apple cider vinegar and half apple juice after the first 2 hours, and then every hour.
- When the lamb reaches an internal temperature of about 185°F, remove it form the grill and wrap it in butcher paper. Place wrapped lamb back on the grill until the lamb reaches 195°F to 204°F. Rest the meat for 30 minutes before shredding.
- Make the Asian Pickled Red Onions in a small saucepan by whisking water, vinegar, sugar, ginger, star anise, orange peel and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour over thinly sliced red onions. Refrigerate the pickled red onions in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Make the Wonton Crisps by heating the cooking oil in a large skillet over medium heat to 360°F. In batches, place a wonton wrapper in the hot oil and fry for 30 seconds per side, or until golden brown and crispy. Drain the wonton wrappers on paper towels.
- Make the Asian BBQ Sauce by whisking all ingredients as listed. If the sauce is too thick, add a little bit of chicken broth to thin it out.
- Toss the shredded lamb in the BBQ sauce. If needed, add 1/2 cup of chicken broth, when reheating the Asian BBQ shredded lamb. Add lime juice if the flavor needs to brighten. Keep warm until serving.
- Assemble the appetizer. Place a wonton crisp on a serving plate and top with Asian BBQ shredded lamb, pickled red onions, and microgreens or chopped cucumber. Serve immediately.