Merry's Rotisserie Chicken Drumsticks
Blow your guest's minds with these scrumptious rotisserie chicken drumsticks
For 8 Persons
- 1/2 cup small bunch cilantro, about
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- 9 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
- 1 fresh lime, zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander/li>
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3-4 lbs chicken drumsticks (about 16 drumsticks)
- Preferred cooking oil
For the seasoning:
- 3 tablespoons Primo Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Optional: 1lb asparagus and 1/2 red onion, chopped
- Prepare the marinade: In a blender or food processor bowl, combine cilantro, scallions, garlic, fish sauce, Hoisin, lime zest, lime juice, chili garlic sauce, coriander, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Place chicken drumsticks in a medium bowl and cover with the marinade. Toss a few times to coat. Marinade 3 hours up to overnight.
- Prepare the seasoning: Combine all seasoning ingredients and set aside.
- Prepare the grill: Arrange Primo Lump Charcoal at the bottom of the firebox. Use either the Primo Electric Starter or Quick Lights to light the charcoal. Wait 10 minutes for the charcoal to build a small bed of embers, then ins4ert the deflector rack and plates. Close the dome and adjust the vents to achieve a steady 275°F heat.
- Prepare the Rotisserie: place the Primo Rotisserie frame onto the firebox. Attach the motor and plug the electrical plug into power.
- Prepare chicken for grill: Remove the chicken from the marinade, and lightly wipe off with a paper towel. Place the chicken drumsticks on a rack that has been placed on a rimmed baking pan. Sprinkle both sides of the drumsticks with the seasoning, and leave on the counter for up to 1 hour.
- Place about 8 chicken drumsticks into each of the rotisserie baskets. Lock the rotisserie basket by fastening the latches. If desired, place 1 pound of asparagus in one of the 3 baskets or add additional drumsticks.
- Thread the spit rod through the rotisserie basket. Center the chicken drumsticks 3-sided basket on the spit rod, and tighten the screws to secure.
- Insert the spit rod with chicken basket into the rotisserie motor, and turn it on.
- Smoke the chicken drumsticks for 30-40 minutes or until it has an internal temperature of 155°F. Remove the partially cooked drumsticks (and asparagus) from the rotisserie basket. Remove the rotisserie frame and motor from the Primo. Insert the grill grates back into the grill, and brush with oil right before adding chicken.
- Open the vents on the bottom and top of the Primo, allowing the heat to increase to about 425°F. If asparagus is being cooked, pour 2 tablespoons of oil into a grill safe pan, and place it into the grill with chopped red onions.
- Note: If asparagus is being cooked, add it to the softened red onions at the same time the chicken is being placed on the grill. Toss a few times and season with Primo Garlic Pepper Seasoning.
Make it smoky. I suggest 2 cherry wood chunks or a cup of cherry smoking chips if you decide to use scented wood.
Boost the Asia flavor by adding grated lemongrass! Take up the heat level up a notch by adding 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper or grated Serrano pepper.